Samsung's flagship for 2016. Features a Exynos 8890 SOC.
Features & Usability
Pro TipUse GitHub to subscribe to the linked Issues. So, whenever bugs get solved (or a fix needs testing) you will know about that.
State: In development
Q: What does this port need to get better?
A: Complete the following features:
Automated Usability (beta)
Minimal system components are functional, but the device is not able to perform well yet. If you need complete calling and cellular data functionalities (as applicable), consider choosing a different device.
Community strength (beta)
- Manual brightness
- Notification LED
- Switching between cameras
- Carrier info, signal strength
- Data connection
- Incoming, outgoing calls
- Dual SIM functionality
- MMS in, out
- PIN unlock
- SMS in, out
- Change audio routings
- Voice in calls
- Volume control in calls
- 24+ hours battery lifetime
- 7+ days stability
- Boot into UI
- Hardware video playback
- Anbox patches (deprecated)
- AppArmor patches
- Battery percentage
- Offline charging
- Online charging
- Recovery image
- Reset to factory defaults
- RTC time
- SD card storage
- Shutdown / Reboot
- Wireless charging
- Wireless External monitor
- Flight mode
- Automatic brightness
- Fingerprint reader
- Double touch to wake
- Volume control
- MTP access
- ADB access
Confirmed, depending on the maintenance
If there is a link here, follow it to learn more' '
Working to some extent but with issues
Issue is not specific to this device
Subject to port development
The issues listed below are present in most or all of the devices depending on the technology they are built on.
The device hardware does not support these features, if you need them, please consider a different device.
- FM radio
- Wired External monitor
This device gets updates through these channels, learn more about OTA updates
|Ubuntu Release||Channel||Version||Release Date||Description|
|16.04 - xenial||devel||2023-05-17||4/18/2023||Daily built development releases|
|CPU||2.3GHz Quad-Core (Exynos M1) + 1.6GHz Quad-Core (Cortex-A53)|
|Chipset||Samsung Exynos 8890|
|Android Version||LineageOS 18.1|
|Display||1440x2560 pixels, 5.1 in|
|Dimensions||142.4 mm (5.6 in) x 69.6 mm (2.7 in) x 7.9 mm (0.31 in)|
|Release date||March 2016|
- Dual sim Galaxy S7 exynos can only use 3G/4G on one of the sim slot at a time. While it is possible on Android to pick a sim for 3G/4G, on this port, only sim1 can use 3G/4G, sim2 is 2G only.
- Fingerprint sensor drivers are patched to work with halium, but only tested on one of the possible sensor model. Create an issue if fingerprint sensor is not working for you.
- Battery charging limit can be set by writing an integer percentage value from 61-94 to
~/.config/limit_chargingthen reboot, eg.
echo 70 > ~/.config/limit_charging; sudo reboot
- While Ivan Meler might still be attempting to port 8895’s 4.4 kernel onto 8890, this device runs on an extremely old downstream kernel. Though porting work seems mostly smooth on focal, odd systemd behaviors had to be worked around. If you’re looking to buy a device to run Ubuntu Touch or other phone Linux distros, I advice looking for a device with a more recent kernel, or better, mainlined kernel. Focal will likely run unless some big changes happen, but I can’t say for sure for future versions.
- If my device breaks down, I likely won’t be able to continue maintaining this port unless I somehow receive a replacement.
Report an Issue for
Samsung Galaxy S7 (Exynos)
Did the maintainer say that feature ‘works’ but you know from doing it that
it really doesn’t?
Start by searching the device issue , if you found it, hopefully the porter is on it. 'Subscribe' to the issue in case it get solved.
Couldn't find it?
Uh-oh… Well it is time to let the porter and everyone else know about the fail and send the tech magic back to the workshop for a makeover.
1. Read 'Bug Reporting' section in UBports docs on 'How to report a bug'.
2. Then (this time), head to the device repository and submit it, so the porter knows about it.